Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy Presidents Day


It was February of 2000. I was living in England, working on my Master's Degree. I was required by the course to take a latin class. I had always been good at latin, but was having a hard time adjusting to the British style of teaching. Consequently, I wasn't thought of as a stellar latin student. I made high grades on exams, but the oral translations we were asked to do was something I never caught on to.

The professor seemed to delight in singling me out for these oral exercises. At first I thought it was for my own good -- the more I did it, the more I would become comfortable and I would improve my skills. I was so naive.

Presidents Day 2000, I was asked to stand before the class and translate a paragraph. Often, the professor would write the passages, so that they would provide numerous examples of whatever lesson was being taught. That day, I stood up and recognized the professors work. She was using the moral of George Washington and the cherry tree. Because I knew the story well, it was easy for me to translate. I rushed through it...all the way to the end, "Father, I cannot tell a lie. I cut down your cherry tree." I was pleased -- until I read the next line:

Operor vos non votum totus Americans erant is pia?

I fumbled through the translation. Roughly, it says....don't you wish more Americans were like this? Ouch. I sat down red-faced and embarrassed amongst the 30 or so twittering Brits.

I never did win the favor (or should I say favour) of that professor. But that's ok. She couldn't deny my grades and I ended up with more than one good friend in that class. And they know that some Americans still are honest...just like George Washington.

No comments: