Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Do you smell that?

Well, it's beginning to be late winter. Know what that means? Yep. The skunks are mating. For about a month or so now, there will be a surge in skunky roadkill. It will subside until the babies are ready to be out and about in late spring.

Why would Sara T. know this? Well, let me tell ya. I live in the woods...in a cedar sided house. I attract all kinds of critters: Mary Lou, the big ole' groundhog who lives under the porch and steals apples from the neighbors tree, Casper the albino deer and Foxy the fox, who has no need to be sly and trots down the middle of the road at his leisure, just to name a few.

For the next month or so, I will be awakened in the wee small hours of the morning by the stench of love-sick skunks. They don't spray the house, but they are somewhere near-by....close enough to wake me out of a sound sleep. By mid-morning, their aroma is gone. I'm sure they are resting in preparation for the next night's courtship.

Think this will be a good selling point if I ever put my house on the market?

No comments: