Sunday, March 9, 2008

Snowed In


The Cincinnati Enquirer, January 15, 1918, p. 8, cartoon of an "old timer."


I guess they've been making jokes about Ohio weather for a long time. Personally, I love being snowed in. It provides a perfect opportunity to get all of those annoying tasks done that I've been putting off for so long. It also provides for a great learning experience. Here's a list of the few things I've learned during the great blizzard of 2008:

1) Even if I have 500+ channels, nothing is as entertaining as Mindy and Marshall on channel 4 mis-reporting snow emergencies every 5 minutes, defending their drive into work and wondering what Tacoma is going to buy from Panera to measure the snow. (FYI, the snow was one baguette deep in the Panera parking lot on 23).

2) I have 9 cake mixes in my pantry including pineapple, angel food, pound, spice, carrot and pumpkin. Hmmmm.....

3) Uggs are not drift proof.

4) 1 Hot shower + 2 Alleve = 3 hour nap.

5) I have a king size bed, a full size bed, 6 dining room chairs, a couch, an ottoman, an overstuffed chair and 4 baskets of laundry. The cats favorite place to sleep? Whatever pillow my head is laying on.

6) Reading "The Long Winter" during the Long Winter is extremely gratifying.

7) It IS possible for my backroom to be organized.

8) Linus loves to shovel snow. He likes to rear back, stiff-legged onto the shovel as I scoop, then bury his head into the shovel and spill the contents. I didn't attempt the drive, but I did manage to clear the sump pump outlet.

9) 5 cans of Diet Dr. Pepper is my limit before my tongue starts cramping from the acid.

10) I am so thankful for family with snow plows.

Hopefully, Spring will arrive soon...like Buckeye Chuck said.

No comments: