Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why there hasn't been any posts about Vermont yet...

First of all, if you haven't done it lately, give thanks for your thumbs. Last Sunday I was cooking up a storm (as I do almost every Sunday...making "leftovers" for the week). I ran the side of my thumb through the mandolin grater. My thumb somewhat resembles the Pyramids of Gaza now. It has been extraordinarily painful. I've been keeping Band-aid and Neosporin in business. Anyways...it literally hurt to type...hold a pen, zip up my pants, knit or a myriad of other things. It did not affect my ability to lay in front of the TV and drink coffee.

Secondly, this week was bookmarked by two events similar in nature, but drastically different in circumstances.

Monday morning, a friend and colleagues son took his own life. Our family has spent much of the week doing whatever we could for the family -- making food, taking up donations, making more food, babysitting the house.... In fact, I was babysitting the house yesterday morning while the family was at the funeral. While I was there, I got a text message from my friend Nancy. Her mom had finally passed after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. She had been under the care of Hospice for almost six months.

The contrast between the two events is overwhelming. On one hand, you have a young guy who's death was unexpected and senseless. It was met with deep hurt, anger and questions. On the other hand, Ruby's death was welcomed, expected and those left behind were thankful, not only that she was finally out of pain, but also that they had those precious end days with her.

I had a conversation with a friend this week who said that they would rather take their own life than grow old and suffer with any number of ailments and maladies that come with age. This is the second time I've heard this viewpoint recently. I can't really agree. Life is precious...no matter how long it extends or in what capacity we are.

So...that's basically why there haven't been any posts about Vermont yet. I'll get on it....just had a lot on my mind this week....

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Sorry to hear about your thumb,
and your week.
I wondered why the Sweet Potato Soup had that funny tang!
Now we know.

Sara T. said...

FYI Soup Swap Ladies: The Sweet Potato Soup was not contaminated. Putting one's blood, sweat and tears into something is just an expression, not to be taken literally. he he he...

Sleepy Scott said...

Sorry about your week. I wouldn't have asked about Vermont if I'd have known about the other stuff going on. You are just so darn interesting!

Sara T. said...

Oh, but Sleepy Scott...I thank you for keeping me accountable to my blog. I have things to say about Vermont (trust me...I have TOO much to say about Vermont)...but this just needed to come first.