Sunday, February 3, 2008

Thoughts on Vermont....

I had an EXCELLENT trip to Vermont. The best thing of course was seeing my dear friend Beth again. We've known each other since 7th grade...and our friendship has grown a lot over the years. I have to say, that probably my favorite part of the trip was just hanging out at their house and chilling. I picked up some self-striping sock yarn and knitted a lot. We also cooked, did jigsaw puzzles and watched the entire season of "Flight of the Conchords" (my current fave obsession right now...cause I'm the motha flippin' hiphopappotomus).

Burlington itself is a nice town. It's located between the Adirondacks and Lake Champlaign to the west, the Green Mountains to the east. All are visible from the city and are just gorgeous. There is a neat downtown area that has a lot of shops and eateries. The University of Vermont is in Burlington, so there is a bit of a college-town feel.

Beth and I did drive over to Stowe to visit the Von Trapp Family Lodge. Yes, the same Von Trapps whose story was told in "The Sound of Music." I did spin around with my arms outstretched singing my best....The hills are alive....

Beth and Craigs house is strategically located between the Ben and Jerry factory, The Vermont Teddy Bear Factory and The Magic Hat Brewing Company. Wanna guess which one I wanted to visit?

The Magic Hat Brewery was AWESOME. They had free tastings of all of their beers, including an organic beet beer that I fell in love with. I actually bought a growler to bring home, but unfortunately it froze in the car and I was denied any more of the ruby colored goodness. **sigh** I bought souvenirs that included glasses, cards, lighters with bottle openers built into the bottom (cause Toby needs that!) and the Mardi Gras sampler pack.

I also found something unusual in the brewery gift shop. Magic Hat has come out with their own line of condoms. I was standing in front of the display, trying to decide if it was something I should laugh at or not, when a gal who worked there walked by and saw my inquisitive look. Apparently, the brewery wanted to give something back to the community, so they sell condoms. All the proceeds go the the local rape crisis center. I did laugh (cause the Magic Hat Condom Logo is quite funny), but I also supported the cause. So, if you're in need....

I also got to attend a free hot chocolate tasting at the Lake Champlaign Chocolate Company...but it wasn't nearly as fun as the brewery. There wasn't anything quite as funny in their giftshop.

We didn't go to Ben and Jerry's or the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory. I had brought Graeters Ice Cream from C-bus as a belated Christmas gift for Beth. She actually danced a jig when she saw it. We had more ice cream then we knew what to do with.

I have to admit that I was glad to come home though. Mainly because of the people. They complained about everything, but in a nice way. It just seemed fake and hypocritical. Noone seemed genuine. Examples:

**At 4 PM, Beth and I stopped at a pub for a pint. We were going to take some wings home for Craig, so we asked to place a carry-out order. We were told that they don't do carry-out on Saturdays, because they were too busy. We were almost the only ones in the place. The waitress went on to explain that she would bend the rules for us this one time, but we shouldn't expect it next time and she would probably get in trouble for it. OK.....

**At another restaurant, we asked for them to split the bill. We were told that they were unable to do that, but they would run separate credit cards. Hmmm....in my world, that's called splitting the bill. I felt like I had to be told I was an inconvenience for them.....

**I find it laughable to overhear conversations about how evil President Bush is, how we need to take care of each other and the environment, and how horrible the economy is by people who are wearing more labels than I have in my entire closet, sipping their Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts Coffee in disposable cups, and who don't even have the common courtesy to hold the door open for the person behind them.

**I don't think anyone in Vermont owns a brush or a razor or soap. Those items must be illegal. I felt like odd man out because I have a haircut. Also, it's freezing cold, and these women are wearing skin tight jeans, Uggs and puffy jackets that leave their muffin tops hanging out. How do you explain that only your bellybutton and/or coin slot has frostbite?

So there are my thoughts on Vermont. They have good beer (and cheese), it's absolutely beautiful, but I'm not rushing back anytime soon. Unless of course, my friends stay there, for whom I would endure 1000 Vermonters just to have a chat with them face to face.

1 comment:

Sleepy Scott said...

Good stuff! Glad you had fun!