Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Cheer!

So this week-end, Linus was outside making dog shaped snow angels. He'd burrow through the snow, right to the bare earth. Then he'd roll on his back, flail all four legs in the air, and wriggle for all he was worth. He was so pleased with himself. Once he came back inside, he would immediately head for my bed...because of course, everyone needs wet-golden-retriever-scented-sheets-with-accompanying-muddy-paw-prints. I would try to reprimand him, but he would just smile back at me. Wonderful.

Contrast this with my conversations with Snake Charmer this week-end. He has chosen to not see me anymore because he's just too depressed over the holidays. He would rather have the company of a bottle. After all, it's far easier to drink through problems than to deal with them and change your life for the better. We'll still be friends, or so we agreed. But honestly, I doubt I ever talk to him again.

It's so easy to go to the dark places at Christmas time. I can get very down if I let myself. I watch the majority of my friends take their kids to go get pictures with Santa, or watch my nephews in their Christmas play and it's very easy to get into the pattern of thinking, "What's so wrong with me that I don't have that?" Cause let's face it, every Christmas that passes is another year to acknowledge that I don't have a family of my own, and the likelihood of it happening grows dimmer.

But this isn't really the time of year to focus on ourselves and our downfalls, is it? Linus instinctively has the right idea: play hard --delight yourself in the season-- and run home to where you're safe and loved, no matter how dirty you get. There are so many ideas that correspond to this attitude: Encourage others to join your merrymaking. Forgive those you hold grudges against. Make "Peace on Earth" a living, breathing part of your life. Give until you think you're done...and then give some more. Love -- everyone. Just don't forget to be silly, have fun, and make a snow angel.

1 comment:

Luke and Valerie said...

Hear, Hear! I can't solve all your problems this season, I can only feed you chocolate truffles and peach cake. Come tomorrow night and see if that doesn't help...