Friday, October 5, 2007

The Polyester Chief


Q: At what point, do you think I start trusting my instincts and be a bit more selective?

A: Right Now.

Last night I had a date with The Polyester Chief. He told me he wasn't really into talking online, and would I mind meeting him for coffee. OK. He gave me his phone number and suggested we meet Sunday after church. However, when I called him, I got his voice mail...so I left a message. By the time we met last night, he had called 7 times, just to confirm a time and place...or to change it. Ugh.

Now, this guy told me that he was 41. My acute visual awareness told me that he was a liar. I don't think of myself as judgemental...after all, he was nice enough and bought me coffee, but let me see if I can describe him: gray and balding, gold pinky rings, silver polyester shirt unbuttoned low enough for his graying chest hair to pop out, khaki shorts, mules, baby-butt smooth legs and a walk that indicated he suffered from the gout.

The Polyester Chief was the fire chief for a small burg outside of Columbus. He taught drivers-ed on the week-ends. He liked stamp and coin collecting and antiques. He was divorced for two years and lived with his brother and his wife. The Polyester Chief immediately wanted to know if we could go hang at my house and have order a pizza.

Unfortunately, I was taking dinner to a "friend" and couldn't stay. After I ran for it, I went over to Jersey Mikes, where I know the owner. He felt sorry for me and gave me a free sub. So it wasn't a wasted night after all!

So, after a week of trying this, here are Sara's super groovy Internet dating rules:
1) If they are aggressive online, don't meet them.
2) If they can't spell or write well, don't meet them.
3) If they refuse to show you a picture, or send you a picture of something that would generally not be shown in a police line-up, don't meet them.
4) If you do agree to meet, ask them what car they are driving and to meet you in the parking lot. Don't reveal your car type, because then you can do a drive-by check to see if you want to stay.

All this is not a loss though. I have very high hopes for Frog #5 aka Steely J. We've had some great conversations and he seems....normal. We're meeting Sunday to watch the Steelers beat Seattle. I'll update you ASAP.

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

E-e-e-ew!! And double eew!!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you on Sunday. It's got no where to go but up, right? Eagerly waiting for the next installment...