Saturday, October 20, 2007

One of my favorite Grandma Jean memories

So, about 10 years ago, my family took Grandma Jean to a little movie we thought she would enjoy...Titanic. She had seen the previews, knew many things about the plot and was very interested in seeing the film.

We went St. Valentine's day week-end. Me, mom, dad, Ben, Serena and Grandma Jean arrived early, got tubs of popcorn and vats of soda and chose seats mid-way up the stadium style theater, smack dab in the middle of the row. We anxiously waited while other patrons filed in. By the time the movie started, the theater was packed.

Now, if you've never seen the movie, there are some important plot lines you need to know. The movie is about a boat...that sinks. The plot follows two young lovers on the boat. Jack is a starving artist and Rose is a wealthy socialite. They have a forbidden romance that at one point involves Jack drawing Rose in, shall I say, less than modest attire. Actually, no attire at all. The movie is also really long.

So, about two hours into the movie, Grandma Jean announces in a normal speaking voice, "If he's going to draw her naked, he better hurry up. That boat's going to sink." We all slid down into our seats as the row ahead of us turned around to see who was disrupting the movie.

Later as the ship was sinking, the string quartet decided to stay on deck and play music instead of abandoning the ship. Apparently, when the real Titanic sank, the string quartet actually did this. They played hymns to calm the passengers.

Well, when they started playing in the movie, Grandma recognized the hymn right away and began to sing along. For the rest of my life, I'll never forget my Grandma sitting in a dark, crowded theater, singing "Nearer My God to Thee" in full voice for everyone to hear:

Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to thee.
E'en though it be a cross,
That raiseth me
Still all my song shall be,
Nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to thee.

Though like the wanderer,
The sun gone down
Darkness be over me,
My rest a stone,
Yet in my dreams I'd be,
Nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to thee.

There let the way appear,
Steps unto heaven
All that Thou sendest me,
In mercy given
Angels to beckon me,
Nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to thee.

Then with my waking thoughts
Bright with Thy praise
Out of my stony griefs
Bethel I'll raise
So by my woes to be,
Nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to thee.

Or if on joyful wing,
Cleaving the sky
Sun, moon, and stars forgot,
Upward I fly
Still all my song shall be,
Nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to thee!

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Thank you for sharing that. I'd heard part of that story, but not all of it. Beautiful.

Last night, I happened upon a PBS special on Windsor Castle. I never see or hear about the royal family that I don't think of Grandma's fascination with them. I mean, shoot, she even married a Royal!!

She's a one of a kind & we are so blessed to call her ours.

Luke and Valerie said...

"There let the way appear,
Steps unto heaven
All that Thou sendest me,
In mercy given
Angels to beckon me,
Nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to thee. "
That would be a good prayer for her now.
:)