Friday, August 24, 2007

Grilling

So last night, I fired up the grill -- literally. It's the old-fashioned charcoal kind. Of course, it was so hot, I probably could have thrown things on my patio and grilled them. I figured since I was going to a lot of effort, I might as well try something different.
So, I rubbed some chicken breasts with brown sugar, espresso powder and black pepper. Good start...we're covering sweet and spicy and bitter. What other taste sensations do I need? Sour! So I split some peaches and threw them on. What else? Smoky? I considered throwing the lettuce on (I've actually had grilled lettuce before...it's surprisingly good), but decided there was too much on my tiny grill as it was.
So, I chopped up the lettuce, added some sweet vidalia onions, fresh cukes out of dad's garden and topped the whole thing off with some shredded swiss cheese. Diced chicken and warmed sliced peaches completed my meal...along with some drizzled poppy seed dressing.
Wow. The peaches were warm and syrupy...but not too sweet. They were all blistered and blackened on the grilled side, and warmed all the way through. I bet grilled peaches would be good with ice cream!
The chicken had a lot of depth and flavor. The espresso powder makes SUCH a difference, and the brown sugar carmelized into a crunchy bite.
If only I had thought to toast up some nuts, it would have been a bit better. Oh well...maybe next time.

1 comment:

Luke and Valerie said...

Wow-
I just can't experiment like that- it always turns out terrible. You have a rare gift.