Friday, June 15, 2007

Happy Father's Day!

So, I was watching TV the other night, and I saw a commercial where a bunch of nun's were giving a priest an ice cream The cake said, "Happy Father's Day." The priest just shrugged, as if to say that technically, he was a Father.
I can't help but wonder of those who will struggle this week-end. Some people will celebrate father's day, others will mourn it. Some will continue to remain silent and not talk to their fathers, and others will wish that they still could.
The best advice my father ever gave me seems so simple: It will stop hurting when the pain goes away. He often said that to me as a child, to dry my tears and to give me peace in this world. It didn't take long to figure out that advice would help throughout my teen years and into adulthood. In his own way, Dad was telling me that there are all sorts of things that cause pain -- everything from scraped knees to broken hearts -- and nothing could minimize the hurt. You just need to go through it. Knowing that everyday brings healing is comfort in itself.

Happy Father's Day Dad!

1 comment:

Luke and Valerie said...

You're on a roll! Another beautiful post.
Just park that keister in front of the computer (to blog) a little more often, and I'll be happy.