Tuesday, April 24, 2007

So...all I wanted to do was pump some gas...

I was trying to turn in right to the gas station but some other car was trying to turn left out of the gas station. Can you picture it? He was pulled so far left in the entrance, that it was nearly impossible for me to complete my turn. Immediately, I thought, this guy's a moron...what's wrong with him?? As I was completing my turn, mere inches away from his car, he remained completely oblivious to what was going on around him. So I was going very slowly, partially because I didn't want to hit anything, but mostly because I really wanted to glare at him. As I was looking at him through scrunched up, angry eyes, I noticed that he was wearing a uniform. There was a patch on the arm of his uniform that read "Driving Instructor." My scrunched up eyes went from narrow and menacing to big and round and they rolled back in my head. Not only was this guy a moron...he was a moron who should jhave known better.

I continued with my chore of pumping gas when the convictions (notice it's plural) hit. Ugh. The obvious is that I have no idea what this guy is going through and he doesn't deserve my judgement. The second obvious thing is that there are many things in this world that deserve our anger, but this is not one of them -- don't sweat it. The third, and maybe not so obvious is this: how many times in my life have I been this guy? So many times, I wear my patch of Christianity on my sleeve and am oblivious to the world around me. How many people have I unknowingly hurt or wronged, or made stumble?

If it was you, I'm sorry.

1 comment:

Luke and Valerie said...

Thanks for sharing this.
Good thing those convictions hit so soon, some people don't get hit at all!