Monday, March 12, 2007

The rest of that quote...

That complete quote goes something like this:
My darling girl, when are you going to understand that "normal" is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage.
I love that.
I'm not normal, but at the same time I've never felt that I'm courageous for it. I've always felt left out because I'm neither married nor a mother. It seems like society doesn't recognize you as an adult until you are married, and then not as a woman until you are a mother. It stinks. I secretly groan every time I have to buy a wedding shower or baby shower gift. It's not fair to the rest of us. I complain to my mother that if I'm ever blessed with a husband, I'll have to register my Discover card to be paid off since I had to use it to set up housekeeping on my own.
I googled a bit to see what the average American woman looks like. According to preliminary research (and with absolutely no references to back this up), here is what the average American woman looks like: She is NOT married (yes, in fact 51% of us girls are not married), she is around 5'4 and weighs between 140-152 pounds. She has a high school education, two kids and size 8 feet. Also, she watches around 4 hours of TV daily.
Are you average? I celebrate YOUR courage!!

1 comment:

Luke and Valerie said...

I groan when I have to buy such gifts, too, usually.
:)