Monday, February 19, 2007

Ash Wednesdays is THIS WEEK!

So, I don't always give something up for Lent. Sometimes I do, but I figure it's a personal choice right? So, I'm toying with the idea of going freegan for Lent. Freegans basically shun the worlds over-consumption of resources. Hard-core freegans actually go dumpster diving instead of going to the store. Well, I'm not about to do that yet, after all my goal is not to become a hippy-dippy. I would like to cut down on my consumer waste though. Obviously, a few rules would have to apply to my situation. Groceries and medical things are allowed...also anything that contributes to the safety and well-being of myself, my dogs, my house and my car. I think I would also have to make an allowance for pre-established engagements. Example, I have breakfast every Thursday with my discipleship partner. This would have to stay. Also, am a member of stamping club that has dues bi-monthly. It would be wrong of me to back out of this.

Here are the things that I would miss if I did this:

1) High speed Internet at home.
2) Cable TV -- period
3) Movies
4) Starbucks
5) Sunday Dispatch
6) The yarn store
7) Air fresheners for the car -- ooh...L is stinky sometimes!
8) Office supplies (new pens and paper are like a drug habit for me)
9) Manicures -- ooh wait...that might need to stay as a "medical" expense.
10) Beer...maybe this can be medicinal too!!

On second thought, maybe I'll give up chocolate.

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I'm giving up what I give up every year - lima beans! - Cousin LA

PS - How's the song coming along? (Just kidding:)

Luke and Valerie said...

If you do decide to do the latter, this was a great exercise last fall that I heard about on Tonia's blog:
http://www.achildsgeography.com/travel-blog/2006/10/26/30-days-of-nothing.html
I wasn't very successful at it, but Tonia was. She even went a day w/o electricity.
It would be neat to see what happens...