Monday, October 29, 2007

Lessons I've Learned

There was frost on the ground this morning. That means it's time to get out the socks. Wouldn't you know it, my big toe went right through the end of the sock. I looked down at my protruding toe and thought, when am I going to find the time to mend this sock? And then I flashed to Grandma Jean, sitting at the kitchen counter, darning socks and stockings and listening to Paul Harvey.

Grandma Jean always darned her socks and stockings inside out, with a light bulb pushed up inside, stretching out the toe area where she was mending. She said that way, the mending didn't change the shape or the size of the toe. The sock remained comfortable.

I couldn't help but think of some of the other lessons I learned from Grandma.

**Freshly shredded sweet onion is the key to any good cheese ball or bologna salad

**A bag of Constant Comment in your iced tea makes it taste better

**If there is a gap in the wallpaper seam and the wall shows through, you can color it in with a crayon. A 64 box of crayola is sure to contain a perfect match.

**Dipping your fingertips in milk and wetting the top crust of a pie will make it brown better....of course, you MUST sprinkle sugar on top of the milk.

**Steel wool tucked around the pipes under the sink keep the mice from getting in.

**When you make scrambled eggs, always add 1/2 shell of milk for every egg. It makes your eggs fluffier.

**Always flour your hamburger patties before frying.

**Use Miracle Grow when you're planting

**If you turn your head away while you throw a whole stick of butter into a kettle of potato soup, the extra calories don't count (I think she made this one up!)

**Iron your clothes out of the dryer...not when you get them out to wear. It saves time. I haven't mastered this one yet.

**A match book and a candle in the bathroom can be a lifesaver.

I'm curious...what lessons did you learn from Grandma?

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Excellent list! This will take some thought... Thanks for the Grandma hints.:)

Leigh Ann said...

okay. Been thinking. My list is too long to put in the comment box, though. Sorry, but you'll have to jump over to "my website" for it.