Friday, June 29, 2007

Have you looked under your stove lately?

Last night, I went to get a bottle of water out of the fridge. I'm walking though the kitchen when I noticed my feet were wet. Uh-oh. How did water get all over the floor? Where is it coming from? A quick search showed that there was water running down the wall behind my stove. I pulled out the stove and sure enough, the stove was plugged into a socket that was surrounded by standing water. I went down into the cellar, turned the power off, found a flash light and attempted to fix the problem. Now, it was pretty disgusting. Have you looked under your stove lately? It's been about a year since I have cleaned under my stove. Dog hair, congealed food that fell down between the counter and the stove and mouse poo were floating all around. So I attempted to mop everything up, but no sooner would I get it dry, than a big splosh of water would roll back down the wall (It would puddle up under the paint and then break free)and soak everything again. Not to mention that Linus was trying to help by eating/drinking the standing water.
Well, I finally got the stove unplugged, dried the socket out as best I could, wrapped saran wrap around it and put a bowl upside down over top of it, to prevent anymore rain from dripping onto it. Hopefully no water is actually in the plug. By morning, things looked much better, although there will be damage to repair once the leak is fixed. I'm not brave enough to plug the stove back in yet.
Today I'm claiming Colossians 3:1,2 as my verse of the day. I think that its best understood when taken from "The Message."


So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that's where the action is. See things from his perspective.

Father God, help me raise my expectations and heal me from fear and doubt. Amen.

2 comments:

Luke and Valerie said...

Sorry that happened to you- you went about the clean up intelligently- I would have forgotten to turn the power off...

Leigh Ann said...

Yikes! Between L & V's AC & now your wall/rain trouble, I'm wondering who's house is going to blow in the family next!! (My stove wouldn't be a bad thing really, but I won't outright ASK for that to go... - You know, the one Grandma's sister bought at the same time & hers was a lemon & Grandma's just keeps on ticking? It's still ticking 35 years later, just with two burners.) Keep us posted on the merry adventures of your leaky wall!