Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Common problems...

Sometimes I wonder how many people in the church are actually working towards expanding God's kingdom. This probably isn't a healthy or worthwhile topic to dwell upon, but I was drawn to it when a woman in my bible study group mentioned that she had no friends outside of the church. She was feeling somewhat guilty about that. When it came time for prayer concerns, hers was that their second home would sell. Apparently, the neighbors were "undesirable" and that might affect the price point of her house. In case you wanted to know, her version of "undesirable" meant that the couple didn't go to church and they had a gay son. Hmmm.....

Recently, I've been reading through the Sermon on the Mount with my discipleship partner. There is so much to absorb in this gospel...

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.Matthew 5:43-48"


Agape love. Unconditional. All the time. No strings. How am I supposed to be as perfect as God at loving people? **gulp**

PastorJ told me that the word Jesus used for "perfect" in this passage is the word telios. It doesn't mean perfection of character. It doesn't mean that we are sinless. Let's face it...there is only man who ever walked this earth that had perfect character and was sinless. What it does mean is that we are to be fit and mature for this task or purpose.

I wrestle with this a lot. Most of the time I don't feel fit or mature enough to love someone as much as Jesus does. I see faults. I get offended. I make judgements. Sometimes I feel cheated because I sit back and watch how the world rewards those who don't practice agape love. Then I wallow around a while in a pit of dispair because of my stinkin' thinkin'. I can be so foolish.

I think it's easier to practice agape love on the general public. To commit random acts of kindness; leave a flower on someones doorstep, pay for the guys coffee in the drive-through line behind you, actually talk to the waitress...let the lady with the crying baby go ahead of you in the grocery line. We are all fit for this kind of agape love.

But how do we practice agape love with friends and family -- the people we work with and live with? It hurts to watch someone I love struggle because they lack salvation. It can hurt equally when their actions or words offend me, whether intentionally or not. I imagine that this is where maturity factors into loving others perfectly. Being Jesus on two feet isn't something that comes naturally. It takes the transforming power of the Holy Spirit.

So my friends, I endeavor on to become more mature in Christ -- to let God continue to transform my character, so that someday, I might be able to love everyone perfectly...including the woman in my bible study group and her neighbors.

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Amen, sister!!!! Pounding nails into that plank right along side you as we type. Hammering in truth, sawing away what's not good, pouring cement for a firm foundation, decorating with joy, etc. Got my hard hat on. And my tool belt. (Building character, you know.)

We'll be working on that one until we meet the Master Builder & get to sing in that awesome choir together forever, LAW

(I'm singing smack dab in the middle, by the way - love to hear all the parts. And I've already put in a request to learn how to play the fiddle when we have eternity to do such things & all!)

Luke and Valerie said...

Could LA cram any more construction worker terms in that comment? Must have been what was on her mind at the time.
Read 1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (I won't copy it here for space's sake)- this is the passage I thought of when I read this post. Seems it is easy to get it wrong when it comes to judging others.
One of my neighbors has a gay son, but that isn't why we want to move. It's all her dern cats!!!
:)